Tuesday, August 4, 2009

The Day I Met My Hero!

Wow, this past weekend was one of the most incredible few days of my life! On Saturday I watched my childhood hero (Ruben Sierra) get inducted into the Texas Rangers Hall of Fame. While that may not mean much to you, it means the world to me. For me during a rough childhood Ruben ,along with the Rangers, gave me a sense of hope. Baseball was always my outlet to dream and laid a foundation of a never quit attitude. I had to have that attitude because my team never seemed to win, lol.

As I listened to Ruben give his speech, I sensed such humility, thankfulness, and pride. While he was speaking I realized how emotional this event was for me. I drifted back to my early childhood and remembered the hard times. Times of defeat, of feeling there really wasn't much to live for. But through it all God was faithful.

On the drive home I contemplated all these thoughts and tried to focus on the talk I was to give about my childhood the next morning at church. I was going to share with NORTHchurch, give them a taste of where I have been and the heroes that helped pull me through everything.

There have been a lot of people have impact on my life, but three really stood out to me. Roy, guy that took me to church when no one else would, Uncle Phil, taught me to dream and is responsible for my love of baseball, and my dad and step mom, who gave me an example of normal life and rising above adversity.

Little did I know, my hero Roy, who I hadn't seen in over 20yrs was actually Rod. And Rod was sitting in church when I began to share my story on Sunday morning. When it was brought to my attention, I was overwhelmed. I was given the opportunity to say thank you! I met my long lost hero.

This weekend was a great reminder of who I am and where I have come from. God is amazing!

Question: Who is your hero? What does it mean to be a hero?

No comments:

Post a Comment