Thursday, August 27, 2009

The Fever

As you can see I kind of like baseball. Okay, I love baseball. And as you can imagine with having two boys (6 and 9) I couldn't wait until the day they found interest in the great game. In their life time they have probably been to 5 or so Ranger games and several Triple A games. Once my oldest was even given a bat by one of the players. It was an incredibly cool moment that will mean a lot to him one day, but at the time it was more like, "can we get some ice cream now". I think I was more pumped about it than him.

But just a few weeks ago the first baseman for the Rangers, Chris Davis, was playing in OKC and we got an opportunity to go to the game. Chris was incredibly nice to our family, signing cards, a mini bat, and even a ball. Just after that the left fielder tossed a ball to us. It was a really great experience. The boys were both excited about the trip to the park.

Since that day they are wanting to collect baseball cards, playing a baseball video game and even wanting to watch ballgames with me.

They have officially caught the Fever! That gives me such a great feeling as a father.

I was talking to a great friend of mine, Brian Cromer, and he suggested I write this post after I told him this story. He also mentioned the similarities of people catching the fever of being a follower of Christ.

What made your relationship with God spark? When did you get it?

1 comment:

  1. hmmmmmmmmm, i definetly got "it" when i whole heartedly said, "OK, i want this, I want you, All of you, So here is all of me." this was at a speaking engagement that Jessie Duplantis was giving and something sparked in me. I had been watching my future husband live his life for God and that spoke to me. he never tried to change me into a Christian, he never shoved God down my throat. He just lived life for Christ, showed my Christ like love, and invited me to church. He was walking it, talking it, and living it. That is when I got it, I caught the fever.

    ReplyDelete